8 Great Rum Cocktails to Make at Home0
If rum isn’t a staple in your summertime drinking regimen, you’re doing something very wrong.
What other spirit can instantly transport you to a beach vacation in the tropics? Whether you kneel at the altar of Tiki or are just an occasional Daiquiri dabbler, chances are there’s a rum drink perfect for you. Not sure where to start?
These are 8 rum cocktails you can mix at home right now.
This classic Tiki drink turns 40 this year, so what better time is there to celebrate it. The tangle of dark rum, Campari, simple syrup, and pineapple and lime juices comes together beautifully, and refreshingly, in a cocktail that might just become your new summer staple. This classic Tiki drink was created in 1978 at the Aviary bar of the Kuala Lumpur Hilton.
Ingredients in The Jungle Bird Cocktail
- 1 1⁄2 oz Dark aged Jamaican rum or Cruzan Black Strap rum
- 3⁄4 oz Campari
- 1⁄2 oz Simple syrup
- 1 1⁄2 oz Fresh pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 oz Fresh lime juice
- Pineapple wedge
How to make The Jungle Bird Cocktail
- Fill a mixing glass three-quarters with ice, and add all of the ingredients.
- Shake until chilled for about 30 seconds.
- Strain into a rocks glass over ice cubes or one large piece of ice, and add the garnish.
Take your palate to the beach with this ultra summery cocktail. Lime juice, rich simple syrup and coconut water are a cool backdrop for Puerto Rican white rum. Shake and strain into a glass, then squeeze a lime wedge over the top, and drop it in the drink for an extra kick of citrus. Go tropical with this coconut water, lime and rum drink.
Ingredients in The Caribeño Cocktail
- 1⁄4 oz Lime juice
- 1⁄4 oz Rich simple syrup (2 parts sugar, 1 part water)
- 4 oz Coconut water
- 2 oz Puerto Rican white rum
- 1 Lime wedge
How to make The Caribeño Cocktail
- Add all the ingredients to a shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake, and strain into a Collins glass filled with fresh ice.
- Squeeze a lime wedge into the glass and drop it in the drink.
This fruity cocktail is ideal for summer sipping. Muddled raspberries and mint leaves bring sweetness and brightness to añejo rum, cranberry juice, lemon juice, simple syrup and bitters, while a ginger ale float helps keep everything light and refreshing. A fruity taste of summer.
Ingredients in The Pomchi Smash Cocktail
- 10 Raspberries
- 5 Mint leaves
- 1 1⁄2 oz Ron Abuelo Añejo
- 2 oz Cranberry juice
- 1 oz Fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 oz Simple syrup
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Ginger ale
- 1 Raspberry and mint sprig
- Highball or large wine
How to make The Pomchi Smash Cocktail
- In a shaker, muddle the raspberries and mint leaves.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the ginger ale and fill with ice.
- Shake, and strain into a highball or large wine glass filled with fresh ice.
- Top with ginger ale and garnish with a raspberry and a mint sprig.
Boston Rum Punch
This simple rum cocktail is a Beantown classic. Perfect for summer, the Boston Rum Punch has but two ingredients, so you can easily tote it to the beach or pool. Simply mix two ounces of Jamaica rum with lemonade to taste, shake with finely cracked ice, and live the easy life. This delicious mix of rum and lemonade is a Beantown classic.
Ingredients in The Boston Rum Punch Cocktail
- 2 oz Smith & Cross Traditional Jamaica rum
- Lemonade, to fill
- Orange slice
How to make The Boston Rum Punch Cocktail
- Add the rum into a shaker with finely cracked ice and fill with lemonade, then shake briefly.
- Pour (unstrained) into a pint glass.
- Garnish with half a strawberry and an orange slice.
- Peels of 6 lemons
- .75 cup Demerara sugar
- 6 oz Lemon juice
- 24 oz Water
PREPARATION: In a bowl, muddle the lemon peels and sugar. Let stand for an hour or two to extract the lemon oil. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until the sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until needed.
Just because you aren’t sitting on white sand in the Bahamas doesn’t mean you can’t drink like you are. This multilayered cocktail has a base of white rum, egg white, lemon juice and sugar, which becomes frothy and full-bodied when shaken together. And an amber rum float adds a layer of intrigue.
Ingredients in The Rum Dum Cocktail
- 1 1⁄4 oz John Watling’s pale rum
- 1⁄2 oz John Watling’s amber rum
- 1 oz Egg white
- 1 1⁄4 oz Fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp Sugar
How to make The Rum Dum Cocktail
- Add the pale rum, egg white, lemon juice and sugar to a shaker with ice, and shake until well-chilled.
- Strain into a highball glass over fresh ice.
- Gently pour the amber rum on top as a float.
A take on the classic Ti’ Punch, the Maracuya Mistress is a sweet, citrusy combination of rhum agricole, passion fruit juice, homemade hibiscus syrup and lime juice. All you have to do is pour the ingredients in a glass and stir with a swizzle stick, making this cocktail not only easy to drink but fun to make, too.
Ingredients in The Maracuya Mistress Cocktail
- 2 oz Clément Canne Bleue blanc rhum agricole
- 3⁄4 oz Passion fruit juice
- 1⁄2 oz Hibiscus syrup*
- 1⁄2 oz Fresh lime juice
How to make The Maracuya Mistress Cocktail
- Add all the ingredients into a rocks glass with crushed ice, and swizzle using a bois lélé (swizzle stick).
- Garnish with a lime wheel.
*Hibiscus syrup: Bring 2 cups sugar, 1/2 cup dried Jamaican hibiscus leaves and 1 cup water to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until sugar is dissolved. Allow leaves to steep for 6 minutes, and fine-strain into a container. Keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
La Cola Nostra
From famed cocktail guru Don Lee comes a complex rum sipper that teases out the flavors of fall. A one-two punch of Averna amaro and rum agricole provide the backbone, while citrus, pimento dram and prosecco come together to form an elegant digestif that’s at once bitter, sweet and bubbly.
Ingredients in La Cola Nostra Cocktail
- 2 oz Rhum J.M V.S.O.P. rhum agricole
- 1 oz Averna amaro
- 3⁄4 oz Fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 oz Simple syrup
- 1⁄4 oz Pimento dram
- 1 1⁄2 oz Fantinel prosecco
- Lime wedge
How to make La Cola Nostra Cocktail
- Add all the ingredients into a highball glass with ice.
- Top with the prosecco.
Torrents of Summer
Upgrade your Daiquiri to this lightly spiced cocktail from Kingfish in New Orleans. Pair Bacardí Superior Carta Blanca rum with equal parts lime juice, ginger shrub and Luxardo maraschino liqueur, plus two dashes of Angostura bitters. Shake, strain, sip and feel the summer sun warm your face.
Ingredients in The Torrents of Summer Cocktail
- 2 oz Bacardí Maestro de Ron
- 1⁄2 oz Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
- 1⁄2 oz Ginger shrub
- 1⁄2 oz Luxardo maraschino liqueur
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- Speared lime peel and cherry
How to make The Torrents of Summer Cocktail
- Add all of the ingredients into a shaker with ice and shake.
- Fine-strain into coupe, and garnish with a speared lime peel and cherry.
All content provided on the “Scuba Diving Resource” website is for informational purposes only. Any comments, opinions that may be found here at Scuba Diving Resource are the express opinions and or the property of their individual authors.
Scuba Diving Resource makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Please note that regulations and information can change at any time.